SDC Shooting Range General Safety
• Any person under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or any substance that might impair judgment or coordination is prohibited in the Range areas.
• Open food and beverages are prohibited on the range.
• Smoking, vaping, and chewing tobacco are prohibited on Michigan Tech’s campus.
• Coats, book bags, backpacks, and similar items are prohibited in the Range areas. Only shooting bags and firearm or archery cases are allowed in the Range areas.
• The following firearms and ammunition are PROHIBITED on the range:
- Tracer, armor piercing, and steel core ammunition.
- Rifles shooting centerfire ammunition.
- BB guns.
- Fully automatic firearms or firearms operating in “burst” mode are prohibited.
- Use or storage of Black Powder is prohibited in the Range areas.
- Broadheads, blunts or other arrow tips may not be used on the Range.
General Saftey Rules
• All Federal, state, and local firearm laws must be obeyed.
• Until directed by the Range Safety Officer, all firearms must remain unloaded and encased.
• Children under the age of 9 years old are not allowed in the Range areas for any reason.
• All shooters must complete and sign the SDC RANGE RELEASE, WAIVER, HOLD HARMLESS, INDEMNIFICATION, AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT before using the SDC Range.
• It is recommended that shooters wash their hands and face immediately after shooting. A sink is located in the Shooting Range for your use.
• EYE AND EAR protection are mandatory inside the range room during live fire. EYE protection is required for archery activities.
• Commands issued by Range Safety Officers and Range Personnel must be obeyed immediately and without question.
• No ammunition is allowed in the Safety Area. Users may uncase an unloaded firearm, perform maintenance on an unloaded firearm, or uncase and holster an unloaded handgun in the Safety Area.
• The following firearms are ALLOWED on the range:
- Pistols chambered in cartridges up to .45 Caliber
- Rifles firing rimfire .22 caliber and smaller ammunition.
- Air rifles firing lead or other approved pellets.
- Only lead or copper-jacketed lead ammunition may be used.
- Archers may use field points only.